REEP in the SA media: Feb & Mar 2021
30 Mar 2021 - 12:45
REEP gained substantial media attention in February and March 2021, with multiple interviews and extensive press coverage of recently published reports and presentations.
Recent media citations include:
- 18 February: Corné was interviewed on Power FM on South Africa’s loss of revenue from excise taxes.
- 21 February: Corné quoted in Business Live on the tax increases on alcohol products in South Africa.
- 25 February: Corné was quoted on the Jacaranda FM on the excise tax increases.
- 25 February: Corné and Sam wrote an op-ed on the Daily Maverick: Close, but no cigar: Excise tax on cigarettes should have been increased by 50%.
- Articles from Corné's media presentation with Rural Health Advocacy Project (RHAP) and the Healthy Living Alliance (HEALA) include:
- The Volksblad article appeared in Beeld (business pages), Die Burger (business pages), Burger Oos Kaap (business pages)
- The Sunday Times article attached was syndicated to KZN, Western Cape, and the Express edition.
- 11 March, Corné was quoted in an article by Fin24: Where there's smoke... Questions raised about latest illicit cigarette report.
- 11 March, Corné was interviewed on a CapeTalk discussing a recently released BATSA commissioned report on illicit trade in South Africa.
- 16 March, Corné was quoted in an article by Farmer’s Weekly: "Tobacco companies ‘show true colours’ in illicit trade spat".
- 17 March, REEP’s work on the lockdown studies was cited by Business Insider: "'That business is not coming back.' Shoprite says many smokers, drinkers sticking to black market".
- 25 March 2021: Corne cited in “British American Tobacco’s shifting moral sands - The tobacco giant’s new lobby group wants Sars commissioner Kieswetter to ‘act now’ against illicit tobacco. Suddenly, the law is important?” BL Premium.